I Was a Supermarket Stocker: All the Things I Did That God Probably Didn’t Approve Of
The Dark Side of Stocking Shelves: Confessions of a Supermarket Stocker
Let’s
set the scene: it’s 2 a.m. and you’re stuck in the freezer aisle, knees deep in
frozen pizzas, trying to make sense of your life choices. If you're a
supermarket stocker like I was, you know exactly what I'm talking about. You're
not just filling shelves; you're living in a world that exists somewhere
between retail purgatory and a bad acid trip. Sure, you signed up for it
because you needed a job, but what they don’t tell you is that the real work
isn’t the restocking — it’s surviving the madness that happens behind the scenes.
Now,
let me clear the air: this isn't just some wholesome job. No,
being a supermarket stocker was an exercise in dodging weirdos, keeping a
straight face while dealing with the most bizarre situations, and doing things
you’d probably never admit to in the daylight hours. But let’s face it: that’s
retail. Welcome to the hellscape.
1. The “Inventory Shenanigans” You Never Knew
Happened
Let’s
start with the funny stuff. You’ve seen it —
stacks of items sitting neatly on the shelves, looking like they’ve never been
touched. But behind that illusion is an army of stockers who engage in secret
wars over inventory.
Ever
rearranged cans of beans just to mess with a coworker? I did it. On the
regular. That pack of organic chickpeas? That went right to the back, and in
its place? Good ol’ refried beans.
My reasoning was simple: mess with the system just a little bit, see what
happens. It's petty, it’s childish, and it’s definitely not approved by
corporate — but it’s what keeps you sane
when you’re stuck in the aisle at 3 a.m.
2. The Grocery Gods (and How I Ignored Them)
It’s
4 a.m., you’re stocking the dairy aisle, and you see the most sacred of all
things: the shelf tag system. The price
signs are sacred. But who follows the rules, really? Let’s be honest — if the
milk is just a couple of cents cheaper in the wrong spot, who’s going to
notice? I didn’t. I made minor adjustments to pricing. Call it a "retail
hack," a little push for price optimization.
Some people call it stealing, but
I call it “giving the people what they want.” Who’s going to miss that $0.50,
right?
Was
I breaking the rules? Absolutely. Was God probably not cool with it?
Definitely. But who are we kidding? No one cares if the milk is priced
correctly when the store is about to open and the customers are already
fighting over the last carton of eggs.
3. The Customer Encounters That Should’ve Been
Banned From Life
You
wouldn’t believe the kinds of humans that wander into supermarkets at midnight.
People who didn’t make it to their happy place during daylight hours, and now
they’re roaming the aisles like ghosts on a mission.
Have you ever had to explain to an intoxicated guy that no, you don’t sell
vodka behind the bread section? I have.
And
then there are the food fetishists.
Yeah, those weird people who would spend twenty minutes sniffing each melon to
find the perfect one, while you’re just trying to keep your sanity intact. Then
they’d stare at you, deep in the eyes, and ask: “Is this organic?” My response?
"Of course it is, sir."
I’m just a stocker; I don’t even know where the melons come from.
4. The Night Shift: Where Time Becomes a Fluid
Concept
Let’s
talk about the night shift. It’s you, the
aisles, and the never-ending parade of impulse purchases. At first, you try to
make it into some zen moment, the "calm before the storm," you tell
yourself. But no. The night shift is where bad
decisions go to die.
After
two hours of restocking canned beans, you realize your entire concept of time
is messed up. You start questioning life itself, asking whether you can exist
solely on a diet of instant ramen noodles
and stale bagels. You consider making a break for it and leaving the store with
an entire pallet of frozen pizza, but you know they’d just send someone after
you. Your mind unravels, and before you know it, you’re organizing the store’s
cleaning supplies into a neat, color-coded system no one asked for.
5. The Smells You Will Never Un-Smell
By
now, you’re thinking, “Okay, but what about the worst part? The smell.” Listen,
there are few things more grotesque than walking into the meat aisle at 3 a.m. It’s like
the combination of every worst smell you’ve ever encountered — all melting into
one. Let’s not even get into the rotisserie chicken smell
when it’s been sitting under the heat lamp for a few hours too long. You feel
like you’ve been cursed just by being within a ten-foot radius of it.
And
then, of course, there’s the vomit aisle.
The one where someone dropped their entire grocery cart in the middle of the
store and just walked away,
leaving you to clean up the mess. It’s always the produce section that gets the
worst of it. That slimy cucumber? It’s coming for you. The celery? It smells
like death and regrets.
6. The Black Market of the Supermarket Aisle
And
here’s a real kicker: did you know that the supermarket has its very own
underground black market? It’s not like
you’re trading in drugs or stolen goods, but there’s a subtle transaction happening.
Ever “accidentally” drop a 50-cent coupon for something and just never use it?
I’d sometimes sneak those coupons over to my friends, who would then “find”
them in the break room. Sure, it's petty, but it's also revolutionary. We were all in
it together. There’s an unspoken bond between stockers that no one outside the
job will ever understand.
7. The Existential Crisis You Didn’t Sign Up
For
By
the end of the night, you start asking yourself big questions. You’re
surrounded by boxes of cereal, bags of chips, and plastic-wrapped everything.
But is any of this real? Am I real? Your soul slowly drifts away as you spend
your 50th consecutive hour dealing with angry customers and corporate bullshit. You find yourself
staring at the self-checkout kiosks,
wishing you could just scan yourself out of
existence.
So, What Have I Learned?
At
the end of the day, being a supermarket stocker is a weirdly humbling experience.
It teaches you that retail isn’t just about the work; it’s about surviving the absurd. God
probably didn’t approve of most of the things I did (especially the inventory
hacks), but I like to think that all those sleepless nights and questionable
decisions brought me to a point of realization.
Got any wild retail stories of your own?
Drop your tales of supermarket chaos and all the crazy things you’ve done to
survive the retail grind in the comments. Let’s swap horror stories, because
trust me — we’ve all been there.
Comments
Post a Comment